Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Chocolate Frogs and Peppermint Toads

So when you first think of candy in Harry Potter, you probably think of Chocolate Frogs and with the final movie coming out you’re going to need to bring a supply to the theater. I'm going to have mine with me at midnight tomorrow! I'm really excited, I'm currently watching the first half of Deathly Hallows in preparation.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone

"What are these?" Harry asked Ron, holding up a pack of Chocolate Frogs. "They're not REAL frogs, are they?" (Rowling 102).

Hogwarts train scene part with chocolate frogs, 1:17-1:55. Oh the first movie, classic.

Chocolate Frogs Recipe:

It’s really simple, just follow the melting directions on your bag of chocolate, whether you choose to use the microwave or double boiler.

Spoon it or pipe it into the molds with a plastic bag. You don’t have to put it in super nicely, it’s melty and if you pick it up and drop it gently and it will fill in everywhere.

Cool it for at least 15 minutes in the fridge and then you should be able to pop them out. You might need to shave little extra edges off with a knife. Note: make sure your kitchen isn't really warm or else the chocolate gets melty. Then look at all the yummy chocolate shavings in the bowl!

**Don’t melt too much chocolate at once, you can’t just melt it and cool it over and over all willy-nilly. Also you should know that I made that scarf, yeah I'm pretty awesome.

Peppermint Toads make their first appearance in Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban. I was skeptical at first because I was afraid that I'd end up putting in way too much peppermint, but it had a nice subtle flavor with a pleasant after-taste. "Peppermint creams shaped like toads ('hop realistically in the stomach!')" (Rowling 197). Sorry my toads, don't jump, let me know if you can figure that out.

Peppermint Toads Recipe:

frog or toad chocolate candy mold
white chocolate candy melts

peppermint candy flavoring oil, 2 drops did it for me
chocolate chips or other chocolate (optional)

You can use food coloring to make the white candy melts any color you'd like, since green would be appropriate. OR you can buy some of the white and green melting chocolate to use together.
Melt the chocolate according to the instructions.
Use a toothpick to add peppermint oil drop by drop until you have the desired taste. Be careful, since the peppermint oil is VERY strong!
Spoon the flavored chocolate mixture into the candy mold and let harden in the refrigerator.
When solid, pop out your toads and add the eyes with a small paintbrush and melted chocolate chips.

Look at them, they're so cute! Sorry I forgot to dye my toads green, oh well.

No comments: