Wednesday, May 25, 2011

English Tea Party: Clotted Cream

Alright, friends. Here's the story. Clotted Cream is delicious. It sounds weird, it looks weird, and it's made in a weird way. All of that aside, it's amazing. I wish I could explain it better than that, but I can't. So, here's what Wikipedia described it as:

"Clotted cream has been described as having a "nutty, cooked milk" flavour,[1] and a "rich sweet flavour" with a texture that is grainy sometimes with oily globules on the crusted surface.[2][3] It is a thick cream, with a very high fat content (a minimum 55% but has an average of 64%) meaning that in America it would be classed as butter.[4] Despite its popularity, virtually none is exported, due to difficulty with its shelf life.[4]"

It's a basic essential for English tea time! Mary made it in a previous post and I had it when I was in England once. So without further adieu, here is the recipe!

Clotted Cream

(Source: Yahoo Answers)
2 parts whole milk
1 part heavy whipping cream

Combine ingredients and heat on the stove at the very lowest setting for 2 hours or until skin forms. Then leave it undisturbed on the stove overnight. In the morning, skim off the skin and its underclots.
For nutrition facts, click here.


Yeah...underclots. For some reason, that just sounds super disgusting. When Mary and I made it, we were skeptical as to if it was edible. We tried it, we liked it! I even put a good amount of it on my English Muffin and I wish we had more of it =(







The last picture is one of our homemade English Muffins with clotted cream and raspberry butter on one side and pumpkin butter on the other side. I hope you're looking forward to future posts! Don't let the strangeness of clotted cream deter you. Try it out! It's really great!

1 comment: